Join Sandy for this event
At Chimney Bluffs State Park you'll experience some of the most dramatic landscapes on the Lake Ontario shoreline. Towering 150’ above Lake Ontario in Wayne County, the bluffs were formed by a glacier, then eroded by waves and weathered, and are now part of 597 acres owned by NYS.
We’ll meet near the facilities then walk down the paved path towards the lake for a view of Lake Ontario. We'll then turn east to pick up the Bluff trail and experience the massive sculpted earthen spires from the top. Finally we’ll return along the Drumlin and East-West Trails to our starting point. The total hike will be approximately 3 miles.
Some of the trails are rated as moderate, but there are also sections with a bit of elevation up or down, and you need to take care on the bluff trail, especially near the edge, as the ground is not very stable. A trail map is available at https://parks.ny.gov/parks/attachments/ChimneyBluffsParkMap.pdf
There is a $5 park fee at a self-service kiosk. Pets are welcome on a leash not more than 6 feet. Please be sure to have with you the appropriate clean up bags should it be needed.
Park info: https://parks.ny.gov/parks/43/details.aspx
This event is limited to 12 vaccinated members
- A mask
- Recommended: dress appropriately for the weather, sturdy walking shoes (be prepared for mud along the way), hiking poles, hat, water.
- Optional: camera, binoculars, a snack.
Are you vaccinated? Please let us know when you register. Based on that response, we can tailor appropriate CDC safety protocols for this meeting.
Address will be in your registration confirmation email.
Until further notice, to help prevent the spread of COVID-19, we have adopted these updated rules for all events.
- We encourage all of our members get one of the COVID-19 vaccinations.
- Events are for paid members only - You can join now by clicking on Join Us.
- You must agree to our COVID-19 Safety Agreement & Assumption of Risk Statement during the registration process.
- Attendance limits and vaccine requirements may differ for each event. Please read the restrictions in the event description.
- We will ask if you have been vaccinated. This information will help us determine rules for a particular event.
- Physical Distancing and Masks: If all attendees agree, the group may elect to dispense with keeping a 6 feet distance and wearing a mask.
- Indoor events are restricted to public events, and we will follow the rules of the hosting organization.
*** RSVP and Cancellations – IMPORTANT – PLEASE READ ***
Please respect the trip leader and other members and update your RSVP if you sign-up but then are unable to attend. Events may be cancelled due to lack of attendance, as well as changes in weather or other circumstances. If you must cancel at the last minute, call or text the event host/trip leader (see your registration confirmation for contact details) and let her know who it is who is calling/texting. Be sure to copy down the address, directions, and trip leader contact information to bring with you as there might not be good cell service at the event location.
To Cancel: Go to your Registration List
- Click on this event in your list
- Click on the Already registered link under the REGISTER button.
- At the next page that opens with your registration form, click on the CANCEL REGISTRATION button, and then again click on Cancel Registration on the pop-up form.
- Ignore the link to contact the administrator