Join Stacy for a map and compass hike
Pratts Falls County Park has a brand new, permanent orienteering course that anyone can visit any time the park is open. The idea is to use a map and compass to find markers hidden in the woods, as many or as few as you like. I'll have maps and compasses to share, and can show how to use them for this activity.
The park is pretty, with waterfalls and scenic trails. It can be steep and muddy in places. We can choose routes that are less steep.
Park info https://onondagacountyparks.com/parks/pratts-falls-park/
Orienteering details http://cnyo.us.orienteering.org/PrattsFalls
Dogs are welcome at this park.
This event is limited to approximately 20 participants.
We can meet for lunch before the hike - perhaps a picnic if weather permits, perhaps at a nearby coffee shop.
- A Mask - may be needed depending on current conditions.
- A compass if you have one, but don't buy one, I have spares to lend.
- Boots or shoes that don't mind spring mud.
- Hiking poles if you use them.
- Clothing and gear for April weather.
Directions: From I-81, take exit 15 to US-20 East. Continue east for 7 miles. The Pompey Mall is a good landmark to watch for on the right. Past the mall, take the third left onto Gardner Rd, then right onto Pratts Falls Road, and the park entrance will be on your left. If you miss Gardner Rd, all the other left turns nearby also connect to Pratts Falls Road. Details of where to meet will be in your registration confirmation email.
The automatic confirmation email is the only email you will receive about this event. Be sure and save it or print it out.
COVID rules are evolving:
- Some events are for paid members only - You can join now by clicking on Join Us.
- Attendance may be limited
- You must agree to our new COVID-19 Safety Agreement & Assumption of Risk Statement during the registration process.
- Masks and Physical Distancing: Attendees must mask indoors (including in vehicles) and maintain 6 feet social distancing outdoors.
*** RSVP and Cancellations – IMPORTANT – PLEASE READ ***
Please respect the trip leader and other members and update your RSVP if you sign-up but then are unable to attend. Events may be cancelled due to lack of attendance, as well as changes in weather or other circumstances. If you must cancel at the last minute, call or text the event host/trip leader (see your registration confirmation for contact details) and let her know who it is who is calling/texting. Be sure to copy down the address, directions, and trip leader contact information to bring with you as there might not be good cell service at the event location.
To Cancel: Go to your Registration List
- Click on this event in your list
- Click on the Already registered link under the REGISTER button.
- At the next page that opens with your registration form, click on the CANCEL REGISTRATION button, and then again click on Cancel Registration on the pop-up form.
- Ignore the link to contact the administrator