Join Margaret for this hike
West Esker Trail in Mendon Ponds Park, 1.5 miles, rated: easy
While we do not have snow for skiing yet, let’s take a winter hike! Marked by orange trail blazes, this trail can be accessed directly from either of two parking lots. We will be meeting and accessing the trail from a small parking lot close to the Hopkins Point Road is a park road entrance to the park. (Hopkins Point Road is closed right after this parking lot as it does each winter and will be reopened again in the spring.)
Unfortunately, access to the bathrooms is only seasonal so please plan ahead or be prepared to take a bio break off trail.
Description of West Esker Trail: The western side of the main loop follows a long wooded ridge, an esker formed by glaciers, which provides many great views this time of year with the leaves off the trees. At the south turn of the loop, one of the best known hills of the park, Cardiac Hill, makes for a very steep but relatively short climb that is popular for runners and off-season cross country skiers training hill repeats. We will be going down this hill. Following the east side of the main loop counterclockwise, the trail makes its way more gradually back up to the top of the ridge.
If anyone is interested in hiking more, we can either hike around some off-shoots of the West Esker Trail; these off-shoots have lots of hills, so if you like using poles – you may want them for this part of the hike. Alternately, we could select another trail such as the Quaker Pond Trail.
Link to a PDF trail map of Mendon Ponds Park:
This event is limited to 25 attendees
No dogs please, to better allow us to spot wildlife.
- A mask - required for unvaccinated, optional/recommended for everyone else.
- Recommended: water, warm boots/trail runners, hat, gloves
- Optional: walking poles, micro spikes, lunch/snack, camera, binoculars
At the time this was posted, we do not have or anticipate snow on this date. Please dress for the weather; dressing in layers is encouraged and wear appropriate boots/shoes.
Are you vaccinated? Please let us know if you are vaccinated when you register. Your individual status will be kept private, but this info will help others decide if/when to mask up.
Address will be in your registration confirmation email.
COVID rules are evolving:
Please refrain from attending if you have recently been ill or have COVID-like symptoms.
- Some events are for paid members only - You can join now by clicking on Join Us.
- At the trip leader’s discretion, some events may be limited to vaccinated only, or limit the number of attendees.
- You must agree to our new COVID-19 Safety Agreement & Assumption of Risk Statement during the registration process.
- Masks and Physical Distancing: Attendees may be asked mask indoors (including in vehicles) and may want to maintain 6 feet social distancing outdoors.
*** RSVP and Cancellations – IMPORTANT – PLEASE READ ***
Please respect the trip leader and other members and update your RSVP if you sign-up but then are unable to attend. Events may be cancelled due to lack of attendance, as well as changes in weather or other circumstances. If you must cancel at the last minute, call or text the event host/trip leader (see your registration confirmation for contact details) and let her know who it is who is calling/texting. Be sure to copy down the address, directions, and trip leader contact information to bring with you as there might not be good cell service at the event location.
To Cancel: Go to your Registration List
- Click on this event in your list
- Click on the Already registered link under the REGISTER button.
- At the next page that opens with your registration form, click on the CANCEL REGISTRATION button, and then again click on Cancel Registration on the pop-up form.
- Ignore the link to contact the administrator