Join April for a hike on the Middlesex Valley Rail Trail - Naples NY
The Middlesex Valley Railroad began service in 1892 between Naples and Stanley, with connections to Geneva, Canandaigua and Wayne County. In 1895 it became part of the Lehigh Valley Railroad system and continued running until 1970. It is now part of the State-owned High Tor WMA.
The 7.2 mile rail trail (incorrectly labeled Lehigh Valley Rail Trail on some maps) runs parallel to and north of Route 245, following along sections of the West River. This area is designated as an "Important Bird Area" by the Audubon Society. 10 am isn't the ideal birding time, but I'm not willing to get up and going that early! I hiked earlier this week along a section closer to Naples and saw osprey, great blue heron, red winged black birds, blue jays, geese, ducks, and muskrats. There is a heron rookery located in the section we will be hiking, but I do not know if it is still active.
The trail is grass (short at this time of year), wide, and flat. We may run into wet sections.
We will hike from Sunnyside Rd to Caward Cross Rd, a distance of about 3 miles. We will meet at our end point and shuttle to the beginning.
- Dress appropriately for the weather.
- Sturdy footwear - be prepared for wet sections
- Footwear to change into after the hike
- Hiking poles if you use them
- Water and snacks
- Clothing and gear for the weather and tick protection.
- Optional: binoculars, camera, snack, hat, sunscreen
- Dogs on leash are allowed - as long as they are well behaved
We will meet at the north end of the trail on Caward Cross Rd (off Rt 245 between Middlesex and Naples). There is an area to park off the road there that is about 0.5 miles from Rt 245. See location on Google map here: https://goo.gl/maps/wf8YZKqGHmwa6Rwj9
Please refrain from attending if you have recently been ill or have COVID-like symptoms.
The automatic confirmation email is the only email you will receive about this event. Be sure to save it or print it out.
COVID rules are evolving:
- Some events are for paid members only - You can join now by clicking on Join Us.
- At the trip leader’s discretion, some events may be limited to vaccinated only, or limit the number of attendees.
- You must agree to our new COVID-19 Safety Agreement & Assumption of Risk Statement during the registration process.
- Masks and Physical Distancing: Attendees may be asked to mask indoors (including in vehicles) and may want to maintain 6 feet social distancing outdoors.
*** RSVP and Cancellations – IMPORTANT – PLEASE READ ***
Please respect the trip leader and other members and update your RSVP if you sign-up but then are unable to attend. Events may be cancelled due to lack of attendance, as well as changes in weather or other circumstances. If you must cancel at the last minute, call or text the event host/trip leader (see your registration confirmation for contact details) and let her know who it is who is calling/texting. Be sure to copy down the address, directions, and trip leader contact information to bring with you as there might not be good cell service at the event location.
To Cancel: Go to your Registration List
- Click on this event in your list
- Click on the Already registered link under the REGISTER button.
- At the next page that opens with your registration form, click on the CANCEL REGISTRATION button, and then again click on Cancel Registration on the pop-up form.
- Ignore the link to contact the administrator