Join Anna for this hike
Join me for a First Day Hike of 2021 to explore this unique area. What makes this place so special is the fact that it is a true inland pine barren interspersed with sand dunes, peat bogs and some other interesting wetland habitats.
Rome Sand Plains is one of only a handful of inland pine barrens in the nation. This natural treasure consists of high sand dunes, low peat bogs, pine barrens, hardwood forests, meadows, wetlands and one of the largest beaver ponds in the state. The sand plains are a favorite place to visit for nature lovers from all over. Unique bird life, butterflies and plants make it a popular destination for student field trips, birdwatching groups and other outdoor enthusiasts. More than six miles of marked trails enhance the experience.
This area is home to a resident population of the frosted elfin butterfly, a species considered threatened in New York State. In an effort to encourage the frosted elfins and to perhaps one day become habitat for the endangered Karner blue butterfly, quite a bit of effort has been spent on managing wild blue lupine, which is a food source. A great time to visit this area is the spring, when the lupines are in bloom.
We will walk anywhere from 2 to 4 miles depending on which trails we chose to take.
Please bring: MASK (must be worn when 6 feet distance can't be maintained), water, snack/lunch.
Recommended: camera, good comfortable hiking shoes and proper clothing for the current weather conditions.
Wood Creek trailhead (43.232299°N, 75.583422°W) Google Maps (leaves DEC website)
Until further notice, to help prevent the spread of COVID-19, we have adopted the following rules for all events. Read more at COVID-19.
- Events are for paid members only - You can join now by clicking on Join Us.
- You must agree to our new COVID-19 Safety Agreement & Assumption of Risk Statement during the registration process.
- Attendance is limited to 8 attendees
- Physical Distancing: all attendees will comply with keeping 6 feet distance
- Masks must be worn for the meet and greet portion, but may be removed on the trail, water, etc. at the discretion of the trip leader.
*** RSVP and Cancellations – IMPORTANT – PLEASE READ ***
Please respect the trip leader and other members and update your RSVP if you sign-up but then are unable to attend. Events may be cancelled due to lack of attendance, as well as changes in weather or other circumstances. If you must cancel at the last minute, call or text the event host/trip leader (see your registration confirmation for contact details) and let her know who it is who is calling/texting. Be sure to copy down the address, directions, and trip leader contact information to bring with you as there might not be good cell service at the event location.
To Cancel: Go to your Registration List
- Click on this event in your list
- Click on the Already registered link under the REGISTER button.
- At the next page that opens with your registration form, click on the CANCEL REGISTRATION button, and then again click on Cancel Registration on the pop-up form.
- Ignore the link to contact the administrator