A walk in the park then a swim at the beach - for dogs, that is
One of our favorite events of the year is our annual Dog Days of August Walk. While we've always tried to have our doggie walks somewhere with water, think Rock Creek Park, C & O Canal, Northwest Branch, this is the first time we're going to the beach, the Dog Beach that is.
Quiet Waters Park in Annapolis offers lovely walking trails, a dog park and a dog beach. We'll start out with a walk through fields and forests and enjoy views of Harness Creek and the South River. All dogs must be on leash for the entire walk. After our walk, we'll head to the Dog Beach where the pooches can swim to their hearts' delight.
After the doggies have finished romping in the water, we'll find a shady spot for a picnic lunch.
Anne Arundel County's Dog Beach rules are below:
Persons who choose to use the Dog Beach Area as a condition of use agree to the following rules:
- Anne Arundel County is not responsible for injuries to dogs, their owners/handlers, or others that use the Dog Beach Area.
- Aggressive Dogs are strictly forbidden on the dog beach. Violators will face permanent suspension from all county dog parks.
- Dog owners/handlers must respect the rights of others to use this area by maintaining control of their pets at all times.
- Dogs must be on leash and under control by their owners/handlers at all times outside of the Dog Beach area.
- Children under the age of 6 are prohibited from entering the dog beach area. An adult, who is accountable for their behavior and well-being, must accompany all children.
- Owners/handlers must immediately clean up after their dog(s) and properly dispose of waste.
- No smoking or food within Dog Beach area (human or dog).
- All dogs must be healthy, vaccinated, and collared -with identification.
- Owners/handlers must remain inside the Dog Beach area, with leash, within view and voice control of their dog(s) at all times.
- Limit of two dogs per adult.
- Dogs in heat and puppies under 4 months of age are prohibited.
- Excessive barking is prohibited. Dogs barking excessively must be removed.
- Owners/handlers must stop their dogs from digging and immediately fill any holes dug.
- Dogs must stay in the Dog Beach area, and waters immediately in front of the beach at all times. Dogs are not allowed in the woods behind the beach.
- Humans are prohibited from swimming or wading in the water.
- Cash for entry fee: $6/vehicle
- Snacks, dog treats and water for the walk
- Hat, sun block, insect repellent
- A mask in case it's needed
- Brown bag lunch
Are you vaccinated? Please let us know when you register. Based on that response, we can tailor appropriate CDC safety protocols for this get-together.
Specific location for the walk. Your confirmation email will provide this information. (Scroll all the way to the bottom of the email.)
At the start of the COVID-19 pandemic, Women Outdoors adopted new rules for all WO events, including a requirement that only WO members could participate in WO events. The board of directors has just lifted that membership restriction. Guests can now participate in two WO events before they will be asked to join Women Outdoors. Read more about WO's COVID guidelines.
You can join Women Outdoors or renew your membership now by clicking on this Join/Renew link.
- WO members and guests must agree to our COVID-19 Safety Agreement & Assumption of Risk Statement during the registration process.
*** RSVP and Cancellations – IMPORTANT – PLEASE READ ***
Be sure to copy down the address, directions, and trip leader contact information to bring with you as there might not be good cell service at the event location.
Please respect the trip leader and other members and update your RSVP if you sign up but then are unable to attend. Events may be cancelled due to lack of attendance, as well as changes in weather or other circumstances. If you must cancel at the last minute, call or text the event host/trip leader (see your registration confirmation for contact details) and let her know who it is who is calling/texting.
To Cancel: Go to your Registration List
- Click on this event in your list.
- Click on the Already registered link under the REGISTER button.
- At the next page that opens with your registration form, click on the CANCEL REGISTRATION button, and then again click on Cancel Registration on the pop-up form.
- Ignore the link to contact the administrator.