This hike rocks!
See why the Annapolis Rock hike on the Appalachian Trail is one of the most popular hikes in Maryland. This AT section along the flat-topped South Mountain ridge offers a beautiful west-facing vista at Annapolis Rock, beloved by hikers and climbers both.
This out-and-back 5-mile hike is moderately strenuous with some elevation gain at the beginning before leveling off along the ridge. The trail is extremely rocky so good hiking shoes or boots and hiking poles are recommended.
Please arrive by 8:45 a.m. so we can start the hike promptly at 9:00 a.m. Allow at least an hour's drive time from the Washington DC metro area.
The Annapolis Rock hike is open to members and non-members of Women Outdoors. Non-members are welcome to attend two WO events as guests. On your third event, we'll ask you to join the Mid-Atlantic Region of Women Outdoors. You can also join right now by clicking on this Join Us link.
- Trail snacks, lunch, water
- Warm layers of clothing (no cotton; bring wool or synthetic)
- Hat and gloves
- Hiking boots
- Hiking poles and binoculars (optional)
- A mask in case it's needed
Are you vaccinated? Please let us know when you register. Based on that response, we can tailor appropriate CDC safety protocols for this get-together.
Specific meeting location. Your confirmation email will provide the exact location where we will meet for the hike. (Scroll all the way to the bottom of the email.)
- WO members and guests must agree to our COVID-19 Safety Agreement & Assumption of Risk Statement during the registration process.
RSVP and Cancellations – IMPORTANT – PLEASE READ
Be sure to copy down the address, directions and trip leader contact information to bring with you as there might not be good cell service at the event location.
Please respect the trip leader and other members and update your RSVP if you sign up but then are unable to attend. Events may be cancelled due to lack of attendance, as well as changes in weather or other circumstances. If you must cancel at the last minute, call or text the event host/trip leader (see your registration confirmation for contact details) and let her know who it is who is calling/texting.
To Cancel: Go to your Registration List
- Click on this event in your list.
- Click on the Already registered link under the REGISTER button.
- At the next page that opens with your registration form, click on the CANCEL REGISTRATION button, and then again click on Cancel Registration on the pop-up form.
- Ignore the link to contact the administrator.